Friday, April 23, 2010

Amazing Kids

I imagine that every parent is proud of their children. Parents also think their kids are super duper smart. We are no exception. Let's start with Amaris. She is almost 18 months old so we decided it was time to get rid of the ba-ba. Our strategy was straightforward...let's just talk to her about it and tell her what we wanted to do. Thus, I told her that she was a big girl now and didn't need a ba-ba anymore. She said "Ba-Ba?" I said "I'll just give you a sippy with some milk if you are thirsty". She said "Sippy" (in a happy voice). We proceed with the going-to-bed process without any troubles. She hasn't asked for the ba-ba again. How cool is that. I've got lots more stories about her super-smartness but not enough time or energy to type them. I can only pray it will be that easy when we go to take away her "binkie."

Now for Sheinah. Most everyone who knows us also knows that we are pretty conservative parents. Our kids don't watch very much television and what they do watch is limited to programs that we approve of. The same goes for movies. We check out new movies online before we decide if Sheinah can watch them. We then honestly explain to Sheinah why we don't want her to watch that particular movie. Somehow we managed to not communicate this with her daycare facility...bad parent move. Here comes the really cool part. Sheinah tells us at dinner "Mommy, I have to tell you something and you are not going to like it" (that's a great intro if I ever heard one). She told me that the other day one of her teachers brought in a movie to watch because it was raining outside. Then she says that it was The Princess and the Frog. This movie is on our do-not-watch list for a variety of reasons. After calling her teacher we discover that she didn't watch the movie. About 10 minutes in she told her teacher that her mommy and daddy looked up the movie on the internet and that it had some bad things in it that she was not supposed to watch so they took her next door to play with her sister. How cool is it that she actually listened to us, acted on it, and then told us the truth about the whole thing. It was a proud parent day!

1 comment:

Brandee said...

Way to go Bums! I'm proud of all of you. By the way, what site is it that you can look up the movies? I read it once in a magazine long ago but now that I want the site, I can't remember what it was.